Monday, September 11, 2006

I don't want to learn to read.

Just how do I answer that? Ashlin was so excited to go to school, and she still is. There is one problem though.

She doesn't want to learn to read.

I do not know if it is because she doesn't know how or if there is another reason. But I don't kow how to answer her when she tells me that. I try and encourage her and emphasize how important it is. And the teacher she has is a real hard nose teacher and is expecting her students to be able to read soon. I am happy that this teacher values reading, as I do, but I just feel bad that Ashlin is feeling the pressure.

I never had a problem reading, it just came easy to me. Colton is getting it already too. Ashlin seems to have a problem with it. She is just not grasping it. I am sure if I was her I would be a bit worried too.

In the meantime I feel lost since I really don't know what more to do to help her. I have even told her that once she learns to read she will be allowed to play on the computer more and it is not much of a goal for her. She just really could care less about reading and that is her downfall. If she is not interested she will not try.

Any ideas?

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I don't know how old she is, but most kids "get it" by the time they are eight, if they are allowed to progress at their own pace and are not pushed.

Tami said...

how old is she? there was just a huge article in last weeks newsweek about getting kids to read at a young age and they are saying it's not a good thing.
it seems they have taken down last weeks stuff from their website but if you search a bit you might be able to find it. it was very interesting and i think we do push kids too early to learn things.

i found it for you,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14638573/site/newsweek/

i'll try and email it to you as well

.jessica jo. said...

try making it fun for her. Trevor is scared to read too, but I trick him. i let him pick out some books that he likes. also when we are at restuarants, I point out words that are on the menu. We also play a sign game in the car. He is learning and he doesnt realize it.