Friday, October 13, 2006

morning battles...

How can a six year old girl cause so much upset in the morning? Since she doesn't really want to go to school and she is making sure that we realize it. She is not happy with what she gets offered for breakfast. Fine, give it 15 minutes and we get over that hurdle, at least she eats right. So then lets move on to getting dressed for school.

NOT fun.

This is the hard part.

She decides that she likes NOTHING in her drawers. Not one pair of pants that she is willing to wear. How can a six year old girl be so stubborn and obstinate about putting pants on that she has worn plenty of times before???? And heaven forbid I ask her to wear a skirt when it is chilly out! Not a fun way to start the day - every morning. One of these times it really will come down to sending her to school in her jammies I am sure. I have even tried to get her clothes set out the night before. That was great until it came time to actually get dressed. Then once again there was something wrong with the outfit.

I know that she doesn't really want to go to school, for whatever reason. She also knows that no matter what I will be sending her, I just wish that it was not such a struggle every morning! I was so not prepared for this - she did so well at kindergarten and loved going. I had no concept that we would have any issues at all about Gade 1. But we do.

I feel very sad that she doesn't like school. She just started Grade 1 so she has so many years to go! I hope that we can figure things out and she starts enjoying her time there, and soon!!

4 comments:

Chares Square Co-op said...

i'm sorry you're having a rough time...and that ash is. my niece went through stuff like this...:( i'm sorry i don't have anything amazingly brilliant to offer in terms of advice...but i do have cyber {{hugs}} for you...hang in there girl.

Tami said...

could you have her host some type of fashion show with all her clothes, take pictures of all the different outfits and then she can chose an outfit from the pictures?

karen said...

Mornings can be so tough!

I love tami's suggestion. Also, can you try the routine of picking it out the night before? That worked for a bit with my DD.

Good luck! Hope the mornings get easier!

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with my daughter. Sometimes I attribute it to sensory issues (she doesn't care how it looks, it's all about how it feels.) But in the past, there have been things going on in school (like girl-bullies). So she tries to resist going to school. Try asking a question like "are any of the kids in school mean to other kids?" I try to pose the questions in the third person. She seems to be more comfortable talking about what kids do to other kids, rather than what one kid is doing to her. (That girl-bully used to decide who was going to play with whom, and who was going to be left out that day. We resolved it by getting the teacher and recess aide involved.) Feel free to email me if you want a friendly ear.