Sunday, January 14, 2007

the downside of kids birthday parties.

So Ashlin had a birthday party to go today, three glorious hours of 16 girls running around playing diva. Thank goodness I was not the host lol. She had so much fun though, and I am happy to hear it.

BUT, and I hate to say this, but the goodie bag she brought home is scary! Nothing but sugar, and very noisy toys. I kinda snagged some right away and she didn't even realize it, which I am very grateful for because I dislike fighting with her about that kinda stuff. I convinced her to set aside some for daddy, and she is sharing with Colton. So now we can figure that she has about 1 cup of sugar at her disposal. And of this the worst is these plastic vampire teeth, that come with a big plastic baggie of colored sugar. You are supposed to put the sugar in the mouthpiece where your teeth go, I guess to pad that plastic suckers or something. Like oh my goodness, can anyone call those things good for teeth!

I don't want to be a mean mom and say that my kids can't go to birthday parties because of the sugary goodies bags sent home (95% of the time) but at the same time I just get so annoyed that this seems to be the norm. And I think that if I just made the kids leave without a goodie bag they would both be pretty upset.

Would it be rude to let the birthday hosts know that I would prefer only one to two pieces of candy in her bag??? What else could I do?

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'd say it gets a little better when they get older...well it *does* get a little better. But then you should see what my kids brought home from schoolblast Valentines Day!

If you're really out for advice, I'd just be honest - let dd know that you almost decided not to let her go to the next party because of the candy, but that if she really wants to go "I could agree to 1, 2, or 3 pieces of candy from the favor bag & the rest we (get rid of, give to the easter bunny, save for halloween)." I'd let her choose between a range of pieces you can handle & explain that's the only way you can feel comfortable sending her.

Good luck however you decide & hope she brushed those little teeth really well! (pea Jill_Ilene)

Leslie said...

Things have sure changed from when my fellas were little. I don't remember them getting goodie bags when they went to parties. The only one who got presents was the birthday kid.